I initially installed perlbrew and it created ~/perl, I did my upgrade and it ran into problems. The way I got things to the point that perl would run was to deactivate perlbrew by changing the name of the ~/perl directory. I didn't change anything else. When I start a shell I get errors because of the statements in the bashrc referencing a directory that doesn't exist.
I don't know what is causing the library error I was getting. I don't know if just doing a reinstall of perlbrew over top of the old one (i.e. by changing the directory name back to ./perl will fix the problem and keep/upgrade any packages that I had previously installed. That's what I'm looking for guidance on.