What are PerlMonks Orders?
PerlMonks is made up of many people from many places with many interests. Some of these people have come together to form 'orders' (groups) within the Monastery. Members of these groups do not get XP for their efforts, nor do they get free coffee from Starbucks*. The only reward for their (sometimes quite considerable) trouble is satisfaction and positive karma.
* This is only a presumption. As far as we know, no one has ever tried to get free coffee from Starbucks by claiming to be a member of a PerlMonks Order. If you try and succeed, please let us know. :-)
What Orders exist?
See Orders of Monks for descriptions of what order performs what services.
The following groups exist but are not actually used for anything anymore: SiteDocManagers, Developers.
So You'd Like To Join An Order
If you'd like to join one of the PerlMonks user groups, you will need three things — yea, four things must thou have in order to gain the tassel and the golden key — namely:
- Substantial experience and understanding of PerlMonks. In lieu of a written test, the gods require that you be at least a Friar.
- Consent of a plurality of the existing members of the order you desire membership in.
- Formal blessing of the gods on high.
- And last, but not least: a burning desire to contribute countless hours in devotion to keeping PerlMonks clean and happy, with no more thanks than the occasional pat on the back.
And remember that the answer isn't always 'yes'.
I have joined an Order. Now what?
Once you have joined an Order, please go to your Nodelet Settings and enable the nodelet specific to the order (except that power users don't have such a nodelet) and the Cabal Nodelet. These nodelets are available only for Order members. The nodelets should link you to internal documents of the Order. You should get familiar with some of these documents before you attempt to use your new powers.
Back to the PerlMonks FAQ