I attempted the exact same thing you are trying to accomplish here
, and had much similar results. I was greatly dissatisfied with the performance of TIFF compression offered by Image::Magick (it is worth saying that I was greatly satisfied at the ease of working with images however). I ended up being left with one of two choices:
- If space isn't a consideration, turn off compression and watch Image::Magick scream
- Rewrite the application with another toolkit and/or another language
Space was a huge concern for me, so I rewrote the application in C++ using LeadTools
. It's an expensive (Windows-only) alternative, but in my case we fortunately had a licensed copy lying around.
Hope this is more helpful than discouraging. Good luck to you!