in reply to Re: ActiveState's PerlApp is causing an odd problem with IO:Socket
in thread ActiveState's PerlApp is causing an odd problem with IO:Socket

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, the syntax is the same. I'm puzzled too as I *thought* I had a newer version of PerlApp (and the Dev kit)

However, that bit doesn't help. PerlApp already saw the use of the module and included it, and manually/explicitly putting it in there doesn't help. Same error.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Replies are listed 'Best First'.
Here's the offending line of code, HTH
by lclemmer (Initiate) on Dec 04, 2002 at 23:28 UTC

        my $sel = new IO::Select $sock;

    This code works fine when I use socket functions in runtime perl, and it works fine with PerlApp compiled code that is "dependent" on Perl being on the system. It's the freestanding version only that doesn't work.

    The modules are getting added to the .exe when it's compiled, and they're explicitly use'd in the program.

    I'm going to go dig up a newer version of PerlApp if I have it here and see what happens.


      I think you may need to use a later version of ActivePerl as well (at least build 628 or later). I believe your problem is related to the overriding of CORE::GLOBAL::require by PerlApp. The require statement has both runtime and compiletime aspects, and in earlier versions the compiletime aspects are suppressed when require has been overriden.

      The problem is that the statement

      my $sel = new IO::Select $sock;

      uses indirect object syntax. Directly above is the require statement:

      require IO::Select;

      With a non-overridden require, it will create the IO::Select package at compile time and the statement above is compiled as

      my $sel = IO::Select->new($sock);

      Without the compiletime definition of the IO::Select package, Perl compiles it as

      my $sel = new($sock->IO::Select());

      because the IO::Socket module had already defined a new() sub at this time.

      Another "fix" would be to add a

      use IO::Select;

      line to the top of your script.

        Thanks for the reference. I was headed over to ActiveState next. I bet the upgrade addresses this, I got the notice about the new version.
      Updating to the latest Perl Dev Kit from ActiveState resolves the problem with "finding" included library functions. It works properly now. Of course I found a major problem with my code... so, off to the races...